Project on a Eucharistic Catechism
“We wholeheartedly desire to hand on the Tradition and the teaching of the Church on this sacrament. We seek to further the progress of eucharistic theology and practice”. (Rule of Life n.36)
Coordinated by the General Consultor and Secretary, Father Joseph Vu Quoc Binh sss, the Theological Commission (Cf. Ensemble/Together 89) has been reactivated and desires to provide us its contribution pertaining to our Eucharistic growth and witness. Amid so many approaches of content and formation in all fields of theology, spirituality and ecclesial mission, the service that this Commission presents us is not only a valuable gift relating to our Congregation, but also our contribution to the Eucharistic thinking in the Church.
The International Theological Commission (ITC) of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament convened its fourth virtual meeting on the 24th and 25th Feb, 2022. At this meeting, after a lengthy but fruitful discussion, it was determined to publish a “Eucharistic Catechism” with various articles on various themes to be used as a point of reference for all sorts of researches, formative studies and higher studies on the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist. Making use of the Ensemble/Together, we hope to publish the writings in order to reach the conferees and anyone who wish to deepen their knowledge on the Eucharistic spirituality, especially for forming our Aggregation of the Blessed Sacrament.
The Commission acknowledges the enormous and numerous contributions already available on the subject. The various researches done by our own SSS confreres are already rich and quite impressive. Thanks to the official websites of the Congregation, particularly of the Center Eucharistia, namely, http://www.eucharistia.org/, which still preserve a solid record of all major projects, researches, and contributions done in the past, although not updated since 2014.
While we hope to bring these too as points of reference under various perspectives, categorizing them in different appendix and glossaries, it is also paramount that we recognize our own SSS specialists and involve them in this megaproject of the ITC.
Towards this end, we would like to invite you, dear Conferees, to explore the possibility of your involvement in this work, making use of your own expertise and researches to unlock this sacred mystery of the Holy Eucharist.
|"Towards this end, we would like to invite you, dear Conferees, to explore the possibility of your involvement in this work, making use of your own expertise and researches to unlock this sacred mystery of the Holy Eucharist."|
As we invite volunteers at this stage to join hand with us with your articles to be published under ‘Eucharistic Catechism’, may we draw your kind attention to the following considerations:
- Bear in mind that your contributions must be on the Holy Eucharist, highlighting any one perspective of this august sacrament. For example, it could be on Eucharist as new Passover, Eucharist as memorial, Eucharistic as eschatological, Eucharist as new covenant, Eucharist as Real Presence, Eucharist as sacrifice, etc. Your articles could also be on Mary, woman of the Eucharist, Eucharistic saints, etc. Since Eucharist is so rich, profound and complex, we need to study it from different angles and perspectives.
- Your article could be looked at liturgical, biblical, sacramental, pastoral or missiological perspectives, depending on your expertise and the orientation of the article with the message you would like to bring out.
- While the article could be written in English, French, Italian or Spanish, each article must have its clarity and precision, and so we propose that it be limited to 10,000 words maximum.
- In order that the project meets the standard of a quality research and scientific work, we expect you to have either footnotes or endnotes, opening avenues for further references and researches.
- The ITC will be responsible for any further final redaction, edition and changes if they deem necessary, but with prior consultation with the contributor. This will help the ITC to give a good final touch up for the project.
April 1st, 2022
International Theological Commission